Without the proper waterproofing of parking garages, especially underground that are surrounded by water, significant issues can arise. Water damage can lead to costly repairs and restorations that can be disruptive to building occupants, cause unexpected costs and intensify safety concerns. Some damages can have serious consequences to the entire structure and often result in forced demolition if not treated on time.
Parking structures are different from other concrete buildings in regards to the risks they face:
- Reduced roofing, cladding, and climate control results in a more severe direct or indirect exposure to rain, snow, sunlight, temperature variations, and airborne chlorides;
- Water and waterborne contaminants can cause corrosion of reinforcing steel and compromise structural integrity;
- Vehicular occupancy imposes heavy moving loads and deposits deicing salts;
- Large plan size magnifies the potential for damage caused by restraint of movements and forces associated with volumetric changes.
All these factors influence the durability of parking structures and require consideration in their design. Kryton’s Concrete Waterproofing System reduces risk by transforming concrete into a powerful water-resistant barrier, which extends the durability of your parking structure.
Kryton’s Concrete Waterproofing System can be used to both construct watertight parking structures and to extend the life of existing garages.
Kryton customers use the System extensively for new garages to ensure concrete’s durability. Krystol technology in crystalline products:
- Self-seals leaks and protects rebar from corrosion;
- Promotes more efficient use of time and money;
- Replaces leak-prone membranes.
Kryton’s concrete repair solutions are used to:
- Repair of parking structures damaged by groundwater penetration and leaks;
- Stop water and waterborne contaminants entering the structure;
- Avoid premature deterioration of structural components.
We have put together the following Construction Overviews that point at the most vulnerable concrete details where waterproofing shall be considered:
For a more in-depth discussion about the requirements of your project and applicable waterproofing solutions, please contact our support.