Kryton’s Krystol Mortar Admixture (KMA) transforms rendering mortars, usually applied to exterior building surfaces as finishes, into waterproof protection.
Raymond Vernon from Duratop, Kryton’s distributor in Guatemala, recently approached a well-known mortar manufacturer CREST to do some testing. Raymond wanted to demonstrate how adding KMA to their current mortar mixtures could improve application and performance of the mortar.
He sent us a video of the immediate results of the application comparison. Josué, Chief Applicator of CREST, tells us that the mortar with the KMA added, had better plasticity, so was easier to mix. The KMA mortar was much smoother, and was virtually clump-free compared to the same mortar without KMA added. Upon applying the mortars, the KMA mortar had much better adhesion than the mortar without KMA.
CREST was very happy with the initial performance of the KMA additive in their mortars. They are working with Duratop to test the long-term waterproofing capabilities of KMA within their mortar mixtures.
When added to concrete mixes in brick and block construction, Krystol reacts to form millions of tiny needlelike crystals that block capillary pores and cracks. In the past, brick construction required surface-applied sealant for waterproofing, which was temporarily effective but chipped and flaked as a building aged—this admixture eliminates the need for those sealants.
- Lowers upfront building costs compared to surface applied sealers
- Simplifies installation, eliminating labour, and shortening the construction cycle
- Increases the life of your mortar and decreases building maintenance and repair costs
- Increases durability and delivers a permanent solution with materials designed to last the lifetime of the mortar
- Maintains the original appearance and cleanliness for lasting building attractiveness
Krystol Mortar Admixture (KMA) Projects